Monday, February 7, 2011

Grammar Challenges

I hate grammar and punctuation, not spelling. Spelling is great, I love spelling and believe that I have a large diverse vocabulary, a cornucopia of words. But, I can not do grammar or punctuation, not so much periods and exclamation points, I can get those right no problem, but the commas and the semicolons and the dashes and all of that stuff: can't get it right at all. That last sentence was probably a run-on for instance. I do not know why, but I have never been able to do grammar. I personally think grammar is something that is not nearly as important as many people think it is. As long as you get your point across in the way that you want to say it: why should it matter? Nathaniel Hawthorne, in his infinite wisdom, had quite a few grammatical errors in books that were considered some of the best written english language and descriptive writing. We still read his stuff, but he had possible bad grammar. It has been argued that he did these things on purpose, purposely bad that is, but I think he just wrote. And even if he didn't, thats what you should do, at least in my humble opinion.

1 comment:

  1. First off cornucopia is a great word!
    I agree with you. I feel that too many people are discouraged to write because of all the rules. I feel there is definitely a time for good grammar, but there is also a time for people to just write what they are thinking.
    I have the same problems as you do.

    ReplyDelete