Monday, February 28, 2011

Differences in writing journalistically and academically

Writing journalistically is very different from writing academically. Ever since elementary school, I was always told to elaborate my stories to make them sound better. I am so used to writing long papers so it was hard for me to transition into writing for mass media. Taking this class and reading the books that we bought tells you to make your writings short and sweet to get across effectively for the audience. You don’t know who is listening, watching or reading so you have to make sure it gets to all different education levels because you do not want to lose your viewer.

3 comments:

  1. It is pretty tough to transition from long needlessly wordy essays into now, needlessly brief ones. At least I could make use of my vocabulary with the long stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a problem transitioning to making my writing short and brief. I'm sort of missing the "long stuff"

    ReplyDelete
  3. The change from long to short was very difficult, especially when you are cutting unnecessary words. Yes "violent murder" is redundant, but what about the words that aren't redundant but are too academic to be accessible?

    ReplyDelete