Sensitivity is a mild issue for me, partially because people are so sensitive to certain words. I suppose they have good reason, however, it comes as a great crutch because you have to really watch what is said. Gay might be offensive just as “black” would be offensive. There are obviously some slang terms that cannot be said in referencing homosexuals, African-Americans and women. Either way, some of the more common phrases can still be misconstrued and when people take things so out of context, you really have to watch your back.
It is respectful however to have a certain code and ethical boundary when it comes to referencing people outside of our own culture, gender or sexual orientation. However, I don’t think we should totally censor everything or even refrain from mentioning certain things, because words make the news story and we can’t shy away from possibly offensive words. Half of African-Americans will be offended that I didn’t say “black” and the other half will consider black an unnecessary slang word, that is a reference to an era where it was “coloured people”. Sometimes you just can’t win, and in those instances, you should go with the flow of the story.
Just be careful and notice anything you might write or say involving others. Read your work as if you’re the reader, and see if anything you say could be taken in an offensive context. Half the time we just slip up. That’s how I avoid being offensive.
No comments:
Post a Comment