Monday, February 7, 2011

grammar, spelling and punctuation sux


Growing up around the technology in our society I have never focused on spelling, grammar and punctuation. I can only use 140 characters in a tweet, I cannot afford to waste one with the use of a comma or correct spelling. Due to the changes in how we communicate, punctuation and grammar are not as important to our society as it may have once been. I often struggle with these technical aspects of writing because I do not use them enough. The only time it is necessary for me to use these areas correctly is when I am writing a formal paper which is not very often. Twitter and Facebook are the places I spend most of my time communicating, and there is no one there that tells me I should have used Whom instead of who.

3 comments:

  1. This is seriously the story of my life, especially about facebook and twitter.

    I wish that "whom" wouldn't have gone out of style because then maybe it wouldn't be so hard to decide between the two, since we would have been learning it our whole lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twitter is a killer of grammar. Eventually technology will be advance to the point where we do not need to know the rules of grammar anymore, which, is a good thing, but at the same time a terrible thing. I personally hope it doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahah. I don't Twitter. But on Facebook I usually have pretty good grammar. I just feel like an illiterate idiot if I don't at least attempt at grammar and spelling. Though 'whom' is just archaic. As are half of our grammar rules.

    ReplyDelete