Thursday, February 17, 2011

Language Sensitivity

Cultural and language sensitivity has never really been a problem for me. That is, not on paper anyways. Speaking terms, however, I have been known to use language that some might find offensive. But this is easily remedied for me when it’s down to pen and paper. I realize that many more people will be hearing me than in the speaking world. Therefore, I tend to keep myself locked down to a more acceptable vernacular.

As a writer, I can see the upsides of writing in sensitive language, because it creates an unbiased outlook (allegedly) of the publication by the reader. On the other hand, being overly sensitive also gives the impression of prejudice as it makes it look as if we’re trying to be too cautious not to offend each other. This creates a boundary in itself.

Some censorship is perfectly understandable to an extent. But too much is prejudice in itself. If I was to see a paper being overly cautious in its use of the word “white,” I would be offended. The overuse of words such as “Caucasian,” seems unrealistic and offensive only due to its obviously only being a cover word for the same seemingly offensive word it is replacing.

Sensitivity is essential to creating a unified and accepted media outlet for readers of all races, genders, ethnicities and more. It keeps writers from having free reign on anything which could lead to blatant racism or even more. However, it should only e used to an extent as it also leads to obviously fake courtesy. I believe we should simply be, ironically, more cautious in our caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment